The medicine Department comprises of two inpatient wards (male and female) with combined 34-bed capacity.
Headed by a team of Specialist physicians and fully qualified and experienced Registered Nurses.
1. Emergency care of acute illnesses e.g. myocardial infarctions, strokes, seizures, heart failure, hypertensive emergencies, diabetic coma, asthma etc.
2. Routine inpatient care
3. Holter monitor, ambulatory blood pressure (BP) monitoring
4. General medicine outpatient clinics (Wednesday morning and Thursday afternoons)
5. Subspecialty clinics, renal, haematology/oncology 6. Ongoing health maintenance education
VISITING HOURS FOR INPATIENTS:
Our visiting hours are 12 pm to 1 pm and 4 pm to 6 pm daily. Outside visiting hours permission can be sought to visit from the nursing sister in charge of respective wards.
On Tuesday and Thursday of every week during morning hours and on appointment basis.
Done on any day of the week via liaison with pharmacy to ensure authenticity of medications and to ensure patient’s treatment is uninterrupted. We look forward to being of service to our community and visitors to our island who are in need of medical services. Phone (868) 639-2551 ext 117 (Male ward) and ext 144 (Female ward)
FEMALE MEDICAL WARD
ADMISSIONS OF CLIENTS / PATIENTS
· From A & E Department
· From Medical & Surgical Outpatient Clinic
· From Private Practitioners
· Other Wards
The following are done for Patients/Clients with specific diagnosis.
CBC RBS BUN UREA CREATINE
SERUM ANYLASE CARDIAC ENZYMENS PT.PTT
URINALYSIS STOOL FOR ACCULT BLOOD BLOOD CULTURE
LFT,TFT LIPID PROFILES ELECTROLYTES
SERUM PROTEIN HIV/RETROVIRAL STUDIES UPON CONSENT
EDUCATION OF PATIENTS
All Patients, relatives and significant others are educated on the patient’s specific condition. For example:
– CVA/Stroke Diet
– Physio Exercise
– Diabetes How to administer Insulin
– Operation of Glucometer Machine
– Compliance of Oral Medication
– Foot Care
– Renal Condition Dietary Intake
– (CAPD) Continuous Ambulatory
– Peritoneal Dialysis
– Strict Intake/Output Maintenance
– Asthmatics Use of inhalers or how to use a peak flow meter device
– Wound Management Dietary needs, keeping skin dry, regular turning
– Hypertension Blood Pressure Check
– Immune Compromised Patients Counseling on lifestyle behavior
– Nutritional State, Diet
WARD REVIEW CLINIC
Tuesday and Thursday every week between 8am and 12 noon.
12PM – 1PM AND 4PM – 6PM Sundays and Public Holidays 3pm – 6pm